Objectives of the Society of Africanist Archaeologists (SAfA) as put forward in the SAfA By-Laws
1. To promote and to stimulate interest and research in the archaeology of the African continent.
2. To advocate and to aid in the conservation of archaeological resources.
3. To encourage public access to and appreciation of the aims, accomplishments, and limitations of archaeological research.
4. To serve as a bond among those interested In African Archaeology, both professionals and non-professionals , and to aid in directing their efforts into scientific activities.
5. To publish and to encourage the publication of archaeological research.
6. To discourage commercialism in archaeology and to work for its elimination.